This week in our Product in Depth section we will be delving deeply into one of our bestselling vermouths, Dolin.
Vermouth is a fortified, aromatized wine that is flavoured with various botanicals including flowers, seeds, herbs and spices. These ingredients are added to a base wine in order to give it a unique flavour without altering its alcohol content. Although being traditionally used for medicinal purposes, it is now a commonly consumed beverage around the world.
Dolin Vermouth is made from the finest produces found in the Alpine meadows, which rest above the town of Chambéry, just east of Lyon. It’s mixture of White wine, local herbs, exotic spices sourced globally, which seamlessly combine in order to create a light and delicate vermouth. The company has been using the same recipes since 1821, and this provides consumers a classic and trusted taste.
- Vermouth is commonly produced in three forms: dry, blanc and rouge, with Dolin providing all of these. In addition, Dolin has added a unique bitter and a strawberry flavoured dry variety of Vermouth to extend their handcrafted range to a more commercial market. Each of these forms incorporate different flavours and cater for different palates, thus Dolin will have you covered no matter what your alcohol preference is. –
Dolin Vermouth is also notably lighter, drier and less overpowering than other mass produced vermouths, and is commonly enjoyed as either an aperitif served on ice or as a mixer in cocktails. The company is amongst the few remaining independent French Vermouth producers, carefully crafting wines of the highest quality shifting focus away from mass export.
One of the best things about any vermouth though is it’s ability to be used in meals. Some of the best restaurants in the world include it in dishes such as pasta sauces, soups and sauces in order to create a strong flavour. And if you prefer sticking to drinking your alcohol, below is a classic recipe for the Vodkatini, featuring the Dolin Vermouth, which is one of the easiest cocktails you can make.
65 ml Vodka of your choice (we suggest Vodka Perfect 1864 DistilleriePeureux)
5 ml Dolin Vermouth Dry
- Combine ingredients into glass
- Stir with mixing spoon for 10 seconds
- Strain cocktail into martin glass
- Garnish with lemon zest to serve